Saturday, March 1, 2014

Midway get-away!

Yesterday Darin had the day off for the college spring break. So the kids and I took it off as well, and we headed to the paradise known as Midway! Thanks to Dalynn having our name for Christmas, and being extremely thoughtful about our gift, we had a free nights stay at The Homestead!! Absolutely perfect, best gift ever! Thanks Dalynn!! 
Our room was in this little cottage, one of the many adorable, quaint cottages on the property. That little bay-type window has a charming window seat on the inside, which Ellie claimed as he own the very second we walked through the door! 
Fine with us! It made the sleeping arrangements easier because she slept right there on that window seat! 
Soon after we settled in, it was our scheduled time to go here.....the thermal crater!! The kids have been wanting to swim in here since we first showed it to them long ago. It really is an amazing natural wonder! 
You have to wear life jackets unless you are scuba-diving. 
Logan spent a good amount of time trying to catch the drips from the sides of the crater high above. 
Later on we headed out and about to see some local places. First stop, a thrift/antique store. My goal was to find a unique spring/Easter decor' piece. And I found this. I love it!
We took some time in the Robert Duncan art gallery. Almost all of his paintings make me want to jump inside of them and live happily ever after......rural, calm, childhood!
Logan and Ellie recognized this mother and baby painting, as I have had a large print of it on my bedroom wall since they were babies. (I have actually had it since before Logan and Ellie were born, and it plays an interesting part in my journey to motherhood through adoption. I'll write about it in another post.) I took the photo of the red brick house today......because I noticed it is so like many of the little houses in Duncan's paintings. 
Dinner at the famous "Dairy Keen, the Home of the Train" in Heber. Such a fun place with an awesome electric train going around the entire restaurant, and lots of other trains about. Here Ellie is checking out the Harry Potter model train. 
Great food and fun! 
Evening found us in the main building of The Homestead. Sauna, hot tubs, and swimming for Darin and the kids. Cozy by the fireplace for me, to read while the rain pelted down outside. Then we played a little pool and ping pong, and watched the first original Star Wars movie.....first time for the kids. (More swimming this morning.)
It was partly sunny, snowed some, hailed some, and rained a lot during our hours in Midway. 
This morning we took a walk around the grounds a bit, and looked down into the crater from the top. The views of the area are beautiful from up there...even in yucky weather. 
We took a little time over at the Zermatt. The kids were hoping to play the life-size chess game....but the pieces weren't out because of the weather. So they settled for hot ham and swiss croissants and gelato. 
A few more stops in Midway on Main. I love the Swiss inspired architecture everywhere! 
On the way out of town I snapped a few pics of this house I have always LOVED! Isn't it amazing?! I call it the Snow White cottage. I know nothing about it, but that I love it!
Last stop, the cheese factory. Sampled some fabulous, unique cheeses. 
The perfect little family get-away for no reason at all.....over all too quickly.....but made some really great memories!!

No comments: